Saturday, August 17, 2013

Chunky Crocheted Tote Pattern


I made this bag in one day. I love instant gratification projects. I'm going to make about 3 more. They're so easy and take very little brain power...my kind of project.


Materials
Super Bulky yarn (2-2.5 skeins) I used Lion Brand Thick and Quick in charcoal
Size K and L crochet hooks
Yarn needle

Measurements
14 inches (36mm) in height
20 inches (51mm) in height (including handles)
15 inches (38mm) in width (lying flat)

Note
The bottom of the bag is worked in rows, forming a square

Pattern

With K hook Ch 17

Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in each ch to the end. (16 sc)
Rows 2-17: Ch 1, sc in each st across. (16 sc)

You will now begin working in the round. Do not turn your work

Round 1: Working down the side, place sc in the ends of each row. I put 2 sc in each corner. Work sc across the row, then back up the other side of the work. Place sc in each st across the top. You should end with 68 sc. 
Rnd 2: Working in the back loop, place sc in each st around. Do not join. Do not turn.
Now switch to the L hook
Rnd 3-31: Working in both loops, sc in each st around.

To determine where to end, I layed the work flat and lined up the corner of the bottom


The next round will form the handles

Rnd 32: Ch 35, skip the next 17 sts, sc in the next 17 sts, ch 35, skip 17 sts, sc in next 17 sts. Do not join.


Rnd 33: Sc in back ridge of each ch, sc in next 17 sts, sc in back ridge of each ch, sc in next 17 sts. Join using invisible join method.

Weave all of the ends...and you're done.


I like the shape of the bottom because the shape of the bag changes depending on how much stuff you put in the bag. It can be oval, round, or square.

It's so easy to make the size larger. All you do is add more rows. To add to the width just make the bottom larger by adding stitches and rows. Just make sure if you expand the pattern, increase the stitch count in between the handles. Just play around with it, and don't fret, crochet is so easy to rip out and redo. This bag is so quick, messing up won't slow you down much at all.

Remember to line up your handles so they are centered with the bottom. (look at the photo above)

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if I need to correct any typos or mistakes.
(I wrote this up fast)

Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for this pattern ! :)
    Saila from Finland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo Hoo I love this bag, another great pattern you have gifted us with. I am currently making the Elise Shawl you made a while back, I just started it and I love it.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing another lovely pattern. I'm going to use two strands of DK because I have no super chunky to hand. Love its simplicity.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOO I've been eagerly awaiting the pattern! Thanks again for sharing amazing Woman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the pattern..plan on making one today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this tote bag Liz! Thanks so much for another wonderful pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute tote thanks for sharing. Would be cute with two strands of #4 yarn in different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Liz, I am a new blogger and was just going through different blogs when I came across yours I must say it is a delight to read your blogs.... you are really amazing... Thanks for the lovely patterns you share with us....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Sabrina.... your blog is fabulous... thank you!! I work full time and have two dogs to walk.... but when I get a minute I CANNOT wait to try your tote..... winter nights have their bonuses.... I can crochet, crochet, crochet... nevermind the housework!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could this be made with worsted weight yarn, working four strands together, as you did in your ombre basket pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could this be made with worsted weight yarn, working four strands together, as you did in your ombre basket pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am making this with plastic strands instead of yarn (a bag made of plastic bags!), and so far it is working up nicely. Thank you for sharing this basic market bag pattern.

    ReplyDelete