Sunday, August 25, 2013

Basket Burnout

I have made three more this week... I'm burn out


A few crocheters have asked me if it would make a big difference if they used an M or N hook instead of the L hook that I prefer. 

So here are the results...


The smaller one on the left was made with an L hook
The middle one with an M hook, and
The one on the right with an N hook


You can really see the difference above. N hook vs L hook. I still prefer the L. The smaller basket is so firm and does not sag or move. It is so tight it could almost stand on its handles (I'm exaggerating a little)

I just don't like how the other two have to be shaped to look the way they do in the photos...so this is why I recommend the L hook.


I made this one a little different. I used an N hook and added 6 more stitches in the body to make the shape more oval.


One more shot of all four


One more note:
To answer another question...when crocheting in the round such as these baskets or hats, always remember there is a right side and a wrong side. It is easy to have a basket or hat turn inside out when making it. Notice the difference in the look of the stitches. 
As you crochet, remember that your stitches will always be facing you when on the right side.

Many baskets I have seen posted are actually turned wrong side out. If you look at the second photo in this post, you can see the difference in the inside of the basket and the outside. When finished, the top of the stitches of the last round should be facing out, not in. This is how you can tell if you have accidentally turned the basket inside out.

Hope this helps answer some questions:)

19 comments:

  1. i love the size comparison! i always wondered just how much it would make a difference using a different hook. I like my baskets to be stiffer on the sides so I like the L :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one with the L hook is so cute! Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started one of these last night! I only made it through 6 rounds before my hand started giving up on me. It's been months since I've crocheted. This is going to be a perfect project to start back on. Thanks so much for the pattern! I'm using the Loops N Threads Charisma yarn in purple which is turning out to be pretty fuzzy. I'll try the Lion Brand wool next time in a more neutral color. These are absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet your hands and wrists are hurting, that is a lot of crochet in a stiff fabric. Love all your baskets.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hallo,
    ik ben je nieuwe volger. Ik ben fan van jou blog,mooie werken.
    groetjes,
    Ymme

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your baskets are gorgeous. Love 'em! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so great. I can't wait to see our booths set up with our goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely baskets, love the colours! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Liz! I do love your blog! It's highly inspirational!
    I am a brand new crocheter, it's been five weeks (I think) since my first crochet lesson and I am totally addicted to it. I sew everywhere: on the bus while I am standing or sitting, on the train, inside the subway... I've already made a scarf, some sweaters and I am about to finish a granny cover for a friend who is about to become a mum.
    I am from Argentina and I try to understand the way you explain the different stiches you do. I've already looked for an English-Spanish crochet stiches web page to use as a translator.
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do imagine you have basket burnout! But they are really nice. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your baskets!! I am so glad you shared this pattern, I have made 6 in the last 4 days!! They will be on my blog posted later today or tomorrow. The first ones I made were with cotton and I wasn't sure how thick it need to be so I used 4 skeins and I think I bruised my thumb!! lol but they turned out fantastic. Since then I have used double chunky and that worked out well too, maybe not quite as stiff, but still nice. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've cranked out two of these baskets in the last two days! I had to use my K hook instead of the L since that's all I have right now. They're small but they stand up very well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Liz, Your baskets are beautiful! I have made a few but as you said they do not stand well. Going to try the L needle and see mine look as good as yours. so talented.... Thank You for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Liz! These baskets are really cute! I love the colors too! Thanks for sharing.
    Best wishes for New Year!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would like the pattern for the basket burnout-please let me know where to find it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like the pattern also.... is there a link to it? thanks Deb

      Delete
    2. I really had to look for this but found it here: http://crochetincolor.blogspot.com/2012/02/chunky-crocheted-basket-pattern.html

      Delete
  16. you are so inspiring..and these baskets are beautiful pretty lady..you are a must to my list...

    ReplyDelete
  17. What did you mean, " I used an N hook and added 6 more stitches in the body to make the shape more oval. " ? Can you show me where exactly in the pattern am I supposed to add 6 more stitches? I would like to make an oval one. PLEASE LET ME KNOW :)

    ReplyDelete